Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Tribute on Veterans' Day

   I wrote this poem a few years ago. I've changed my mind now about how much I actually understand about freedom, nation, or sacrifice, but the patriotic gist of wanting to honor both those who died and those who survived rings true, and this is my tribute today.




Something More Than Dye

In this current day and age, I live in profound liberty.
Before I carry on this way
I’m first obliged to understand
Through portals writ in faded ink
Freedom, nation, sacrifice.
In images antique I see
A boy dressed up in soldier’s clothes
Broken for our liberty, while we are dressed in mockery;
A young girl, silent, bearing stripes and scars from whips most cruel,
While we object to wounded pride with curses from our lips.
I think I hear the echoed cries, I think I understand.
“Who else with me will carry on the cause for which they fought?”
Perhaps if you could see with me
The fields laid thick with those who fell,
Perhaps if you could feel with me
The burning tears of friend made foe by nation rent in two,
Perhaps if you could glimpse the fear
In marching headfirst into iron
From endless cannon blasts,
Perhaps if you could comprehend
You’d leave your foolish trifles be.
Do not let it be in vain that countless fell, indeed, to pay
The price that made this nation One
Or gave you this day liberty.
Take the gift before you now; don’t squander it away
With scoffing words, indifference, I see so oft today.
Above our heads waves fabric striped with something more than dye.
Before you hustle on with life, salute with me and say
What war-torn fields have always cried, “Under God, our Nation’s One.
The price has been full paid.”


2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, what changed in your brain lately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just was thinking I really don't understand what it's like. I can imagine it, and I can appreciate it, but I won't understand it unless I go and be a soldier and experience war.

      Delete