Friday, March 22, 2013

Dialogue

   Assignment: write a page of dialogue (with little background description) that is driven by subtextual motivation.


“Stunning,” Sir Sventall said. He leaned his arm against the window sash, admiring the drop off on the castle’s east side and the plummeting, pine-forested valley below. “I believe I am in love with the Fauldish landscape.”
            “I’m happy to hear it,” King Anders said. “In the winter I like to sit in this room for tea because it gets all the sun.” A servant rolled a tray to the table. “Sventall, my friend, do take a seat. Cream and sugar, as usual? You know, I’ve been meaning to thank you. This past fortnight you have been so liberal with your time and your counsel, and I can’t think how to reward you.”
            “Ah, Your Majesty, invitation to the High Council is a reward in itself.”
            “Come, come Sventall! If there is anything, anything I can do for you, tell me.”
            Sir Sventall pushed back his cup and folded his hands. “I do not wish to place my own burdens on your already laden shoulders, but there is one thing, Your Majesty. I am under increasing pressure from my homeland. As you know, great kingdoms must plan together, and Gera is not as patient a man as you are. I need your decision. Soon. Now.”
            “Oh, oh, of course. You’re quite right. I’ve spent too much time already. My mind was made up...until Thibault spoke at the meeting yesterday evening. Now, I, half a day is not sufficient to reevaluate my position. I need a good many more than twelve hours. ”
            “Thirteen. Your Majesty, not twelve, but thirteen hours have passed since the meeting. You will forgive me for correcting you, but I am a strong believer in precision.”
            “Oh, but did we not adjourn at 10 o’clock last evening? I have my timepiece with me. It’s just 10 now. Unless I am mistaken, that is twelve hours.”
            “Ah, yet I must insist that it was thirteen. With watches and clocks you must take into account lost time due to the friction and weight of the gears. You doubt me! I will show you the calculations, if I may trouble you for parchment and ink.”
            “There's no need, Sventall. You understand these timekeepers better than I do. And I was very tired when it was all over last night. I likely made a mistake, so let's not let this trivial discrepancy catch our cloaks.”
            “Ah, but I beg to be allowed this opportunity! This is a test of my knowledge. I see that you do not want to impose upon me, but I assure you, no matter how insignificant a claim, I am always careful to support it.”
            “Mm, yes, I have noticed your diligence. But really, Sventall, it was only an offhand estimate.”
            “‘Offhand estimate?’ I am surprised, King Anders. No, you jest. Surely you jest. I have never known a more principled man. Fauldland’s fortifications and your precautions are impeccable, inspiring. That is how you have avoided the calamity of war so long and achieved such a remarkably long period of peace.”
“Well...”
“You calculate to the single link of mail, King Anders. Precision, perfection. If you tolerated mistakes I should not respect you as I do, for mistakes often prove fatal, and in a kingdom like yours, the wrong move could mean death to your treasured people.”
            “Yes, yes, I see your point. You are young, but wise for your age. If you figure thirteen hours when I count only twelve, I take your word for it.”
“No, King Anders, don’t take my word for it. Let me show you the proof and then believe that!”
 King Anders drummed his fingers on the table. “You know, Sventall, you have a knack for explaining things” He signaled a servant. “Parchment and ink, please.”



Progress: 7 pages


2 comments:

  1. Haha! Anders is the name of the Aaron-like goodguy in my "Passing From Terraus"! Did it subconsciously slip into your mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, maybe that's why I liked it! I forgot about "Passing From Terraus!" I should read it again. I got the name of Anders by asking Ken to name soccer players whose names started with A. :D

      Delete