Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An Arsenal of Good

Free image courtesy of  freedigitalphotos.net

     Future assignments, the approach of work later in the week, deadlines for homework, words or silence I wish I could take back...some days I feel like I'm buried in gray clouds. I get long-faced and glum, even though--despite the little bumps along the road--I have so many reasons to smile. I just forget about them. So I started a list of 14 good things I can remember and draw upon to help me "when the bee stings" or the "dog bites."

1-peaches so ripe the juice drips down my chin
2-shady spots on my walk home
3-blueberry muffin for breakfast
4-the bigness of the blue sky when I look at it lying on my back
5-anything delivered by snail mail
6-good dreams



7-WWII photographs of handsome soldiers in uniform and their fashionably dressed sweethearts


8-neat script across a notebook page
9-the smell of the airport
10-laughing with friends
11-eating supper at home
12-free Sunday afternoons
13-ankle socks
14-the dappled sunshine on my back, the quiet, and the gentle breeze at 6:50pm as I walk across campus

     What are some of your favorite things? Think about it. Leave a few in the comment box--I want to expand my list. If we put our heads together, we could have an arsenal of good to draw upon when the storm clouds come.


2 comments:

  1. This is just what I thought a few days ago! I need a good list to think about when Mr. Glum Glum comes knocking. Hmm, here are some of mine.

    - a gentle quiet breeze when I was expecting a blast of hot wind.
    - When Reuben creeps up silently and shoves his nose against my hand.
    - Someone I know, just there, in that black and white. ;)
    - Waving at said "someone I know"... and they wave back. XD
    - Receiving a package you'd been waiting for... it's in the mailbox, shoved to the back, the edges crinkled and dirty.
    - A free evening, IKEA 2014 catalog, and a big hot mug of tea in hand.
    - There are so so many more! You're so right in saying we should notice these splendid little gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, those are good ones. You sound so poetic. What does the third mean? :)

      Delete