Monday, March 31, 2014

Word of the Day

       According to the Oxford English Dictionary, quiddity means "the inherent nature or essence of a person or thing; what makes a thing what it is." Example sentence: Chivalry is the quiddity of knighthood.


free photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net


         My Brit Lit professor required us to write a midterm essay over any medieval work from our reading list. I picked  "Le Roman de Tristran," Thomas of England's rendition of the story of Tristan and Isolde who are two ill-fated lovers in the days of King Arthur.  I figured that studying the chivalry and medieval hero aspect of it, as well as identity and the characterization of good and bad qualities, would be useful for writing Wynna.


If you're interested, here are excerpts from my paper: “The Code: Chivalry and Identity in Le Roman de Tristran” 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love new words! How fun to learn this one! I like it:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Mrs. Tschirhart! I like it, too. It sounds fancy.

      Delete