Friday, February 13, 2015

My Book Nook


My lecture/seminar schedule leaves me 3 days free every week. My housemates are jealous. My last semester self would be jealous, too.

It's Friday. I'm writing from the the third floor of the South Wales Miners' Library. I think it's going to be my favorite study spot. It's right in the Village, so I don't have to walk far. It's tucked away at the top of the hill, hidden by a campus building and the bend in the road.

 

 

 

It was established in 1973 as a research center. It has a valuable collection of resources about the coalfield.

 

 

It's just the perfect size to not be overwhelming. Lots of natural light comes in from the windows, the books are in good condition, and it's warm.

 

 

They had a little book sale. I bought a couple ones in pretty, old binding for a pound each.

Don't you love it?

 

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Is it nicer than the uni library? How did you find it? Do you go there alone? Have you talked to the people there? Which books did you buy? (So many questions I know!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Mama wants to know all the details!
      It is much nicer than the uni library as far atmosphere. But if I need really specific books, the uni one is a lot gianter, so I'd probably go there.
      I just asked at the reception desk where it was, because I heard that there was another library, but I hadn't walked by it or seen it yet.
      I do go there by myself usually. Only in the daytime, though!
      I didn't really talk to the people there, except to ask for help with things.
      I got Anne of Green Gables and a how-to book.

      Delete
    2. haha! Erika is happy for someone wanting to know the details!

      Delete
  2. Hey, this is a fun blog (not that your other's aren't fun, but for some reason, this one struck me as particularly fun). It's fun that you came upon such a nice, cozy find. It looks like a study haven! And how good you have 3 days off!!!!! You certainly deserve that after just how hard you were working these last semesters, staying up all hours of the night studying and barely sleeping! So does it feel amazing to have a more lax schedule now? And do you still have lots of time, or are you filling the time with other things to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably more fun because the subject of this blog is more entertaining. Wales can't compare to my musings about my writing notebooks and writing habits!

      Yeah, it is a study haven!
      It's wooooonderful having time off. But of course, all the minutes and hours get filled up. Even when I'm not doing anything I'm doing something. I already see that i need to make better use of my time, though! It's easy to get stuck doing email/facebook-like we were talking about-and other random things that need to be done. I must be more diligent about time-blocking!

      Delete