Saturday, August 17, 2013

Learning to Pretend

   
     The Patrol Tower

     Readers are supposed to suspend disbelief. They're supposed to pretend that the people and occurrences on the page are real. If they don't there's no point in reading.

      After all, I highly doubt J.R.R. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit expecting people would clutch their bellies laughing, "Ha! Bilbo didn't talk to Smaug. Dragons don't talk. Even if they did, Biblo and Smaug don't even exist! They're just ink on a page!"

     It's pretty easy to pretend when you're reading someone else's writing. But sometimes I have trouble with my own. I'm the one writing them, and I'm the one who sees all the tangled fancies on the inside of my brain before they spill out onto the page.

     Two things I've found out that help me. The first is making bits of my story into drawings or models. My characters and settings feel more real when I can see them. The second thing that helps is detail, knowing everything about the world of my story, and knowing all about even secondary and tertiary characters.

❀ ❀ ❀

What helps you pretend?
     

No comments:

Post a Comment