Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sweet Mint: Bradstreet


         Dorinth and Boronovia are still frozen in time, a bit like the backyard (we haven't had so many snows or such sustained cold weather since I can remember!), and after my grand declaration that I would be posting ever-after on Saturdays, I already missed the first one!  I could rename this blog Confessions of a Lazy Writer.


        As a sort of an excuse, I spent most of yesterday at 2 different shooting ranges helping my dad gather research data. 

❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃

     I have been trying to really soak in the good stuff from my assigned readings, to help my writing when I do actually get to it. One American author I quite like is Anne Bradstreet. She was the devoted Puritan wife of a prominent colonial politician and the mother of their eight children. Her writing is from the same period as the explorer narratives of men like John Smith and William Bradford. After listening to my classmates rip them apart for their hypocrisy and shameful treatment of the Native Americans (I plead the fifth as to my political/moral opinion in this discussion), Bradstreet's poetry was sweet mint to my ears. "To My Dear and Loving Husband" is in some ways rather generic, but her deep sincerity of feeling struck me.
     Click here to hear it read aloud (by me! I'm trying something new).

     Those of you who enjoy hearing poetry read aloud, try the If Poems app (available for purchase on iTunes). I got it for Christmas, and it's a little bit cumbersome to scroll through and find the poem I want, but it's worth it to have Tom Hiddleston read me poetry while I make my hair &c! ♥ 

No comments:

Post a Comment