Saturday, February 1, 2014

New New New

     When we heard the campus bookstore was selling 501 French Verbs for a dollar, my English major friend (and fellow fashion blogger at rubyslippersfash.wordpress.com) and I zipped over to buy a copy.


     I ended up with a few more books than I intended to, but all six of them (brand new!) plus a wall calendar cost me less than $8. That's thriftiness right there.
      The Sense of an Ending, right in the middle of my pile, I've been wanting to read for a while now. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy--you might have seen the movie version in the theater. It sounds intriguing. Those Lovable Pets I plan to wrap up and send to my retired high school librarian, and squirrel seeks chipmunk I only hurriedly flipped through before I snatched it up, mostly because of the cute size and cute cover. I hope it's good.

     Flip-through, snatch-up. That sums up my flurry of a past two weeks. I have sacrificed a bit of sleep to get back into reading in the midst of everything. In the realm of Christian literature I'm working on Orthodoxy, by G.K. Chesterton. His style reminds me of C.S. Lewis, from his hard-to-wrap-your-head-around intellectualism to his dry, punny humor.
     Also on my bookshelf are "Sir Orfeo" (Brit Lit) and John Winthrop's "A Model of Christian Charity" (American Lit), and in my suppertime reading, I've journeyed as far as the Old Forest with Frodo & Co.

     I've had little time...I've made little time for writing, as I adjust to scheduling around a new weekday job. New. New job, new month, and really just the beginning of this new year (still crossing out 2013?). Time for a new post day. Welcome to Saturday afternoons at The Well!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment