Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Branching out Into Boronovia

     This semester, I think I'm going to be reading my eyeballs out over British, American, and Irish Women's literature, plus the reading for my marketing class. In Brit Lit we're starting out in medieval England with "Caedmon's Hymn" and "The Dream of the Rood."
    For my own pleasure I'm reading 1,000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp and re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring. Although, I suppose all the reading I'm doing should be pleasurable--I don't know what it is about being assigned reading that takes away the enjoyment.

Lurith
     Recently I'm writing a short story (and a bit of history) on the country of Boronovia, which covers almost the entire eastern coast of Lurith. The people are concentrated in the northern middle because of active volcanoes in the south and vicious Ice Bears in the North.        
Logline: In a land of bitter winters, boot-making Piyar...
vir* to three children, struggles with the loss of his wife and a failing business. *Boronovian for "father"



     I don't often write about parents. With Piyar, I'm branching out into new territory. My inspiration for this story (surprise surprise) came from one of Tolkien's characters as portrayed onscreen in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I'll let you guess who.

No comments:

Post a Comment