Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Two-Way Street

     M y mild-mannered English professor often says, "It's a two-way street," and whatever it is, I think he's right. As we look ahead to the new year, I think it's also good to take a look behind.

    I have mostly let Wynna: Dragon Rider sit and hibernate for the month of December, which right now is quite a hodgepodge of snippets in semi-chronological order. Today I started my new project of going back through what I've written and making an outline of events. As I go, I highlight things to help with continuity. For example, at one point Filip refers to people who speak dragon language as dragon warblers. I marked that, because if that's common in everyday Dorinthian conversation, I will probably need to use that again.

     It's nice to see even a holey first draft with fresh eyes. I'm excited--when I finish marking it up and filling in some major plot holes, I'll be ready to continue with Wynna on her journey to Disaster #3 and its resolution, i.e. The End.

What do you see behind that helps you move ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment