Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Persona

         I looked back to see how many poems I've written for class, and it's only four! It felt like so many more, probably because it takes three or four false starts to get going.
         This week especially I wanted to write something that resounded in the soul, or at least that made you stop and think, and think. But I thought I had run out of power--nothing I wrote was working, and I didn't have a lot of time. Stress+not much time+headache+fireworks in my vision≠a good poem.
        I've  played in a lot of piano auditions and recitals for the past eight years. Whenever I was worried about a big octave jump my piano teacher always says, "It never hurts to pray." And for poetry, too, it doesn't doesn't hurt. Actually, it helps.

Notes: This poem is related to my Wynna story.
Free photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net.



"Prisoner's Lament"


You, there. Guard.
See? I've eaten all the hard
bread. I've made my bed,
or at least, folded the gray cotton you said
is my royal coverlet.
What is your name? We haven't actually met.
King Durim, is my father,
and I am Princess Lili. You can tell by my silver collar,
which your fellow soldiers snatched from me
before they slung me on the back of a coal lizard and stole me across the sea
to your land. There. I've
introduced myself. And I will call you Blithe,
because of all the guards I’ve met
You talk and smile the most. Which is to say, not at all. Yet
I try to use my imagination.
Botheration—
I'm trying to keep things light here but
my creativity is hard put when your mouth is shut
tighter than a dragon's and I have to keep
up all the talk!
Beg’ pardon, Blithe. I shouldn't speak in mock-
optimism and cheeriness.
I'll stop and fold this pretty gray nightdress.


Blithe, do you know what my people say about me?
They say I’m a foreigner and shouldn't be
heiress to the throne.
But it was my father who found me, brought me home--
I said I was sorry before,
and I still am, Blithe, for being sore
at you. But I'm not sorry for being
hopeful. I keep seeing
my father when I close my eyes.
No other duke or prince, no,
not even your highness Gera looked so
grand at the ball. I see my father in my mind's eye
standing tall and solid, with the starry sky
of Dorinth emblazoned on his chest.
He wore his silver collar and his best
sword at his side.
I will not cry. I will not cry.
I am not crying. It's dusty, and...
All right, I am. But it's only because of my hand.
You know, the coal lizard burnt it, and my
wrists have welts from the ropes tied too tight.

Do you know, the day before the New Year's Eve Ball
He said I wasn’t to dance?
I'd be behind a row of guards—my usual fence—
but I should've been thankful he let me go at all.
It's just, I felt like a dragon with its wings bound.
I've never run free, servants and guards always all around.
I told him he should had left me in Solong
I triumphed at his crinkled brow. But that was wrong.
I have fought him before, fought His Majesty the King,
and now it makes me want to wring
my own neck. The man who people call in songs
Your Majesty, Wise Counselor, Iron Soldier
I have called tyrant and unfair,
and I was wrong.
I was wrong.

Have you heard my father went to fight the old Pine's Wars?
On foreign soil, amidst the rubble of the final battle
Dorinthians, Solongians, the enemy strewn everywhere like cattle
in the streets, he crawled among the bodies on all fours.
He found me by my cries.
I shut my eyes
now, picture him
Pinpointing my small voice in the din.
Death before, behind, beside, I wonder why
he didn’t leave me there to die.

I wish I had been there.
Then maybe I could have seen just what he saw in me
Before I could prove what kind of daughter I would be
And yet...I was there.


And, Blithe, I hope you're ready
The Iron Soldier will arrive
If he isn't here already.

King Gera may be sorry he took Durim's daughter hostage.


When Father comes I will admit my stupid folly
I'll tell him I was wrong and that I'm sorry. I am sorry.

4 comments:

  1. GoodNESSSS!!!!!! This is what issues forth from your mind when you have no power!? What on earth would happen if you did?! It's so brilliant writing! So amazing! So poignant! So wholly un-persony and wholly absorbing! YOU MADE MY TEARS COME OUT!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR REAL? I made your tears come out? That's on my writer bucket-list, to write something that will make someone cry!! keeeee X)
      I'm glad it was un-persony. I didn't notice until I started writing this that in Wynna, Princess Lil's story is in a lot of ways parallel to God saving us. It's nicely not overt, just like an undercurrent, and it was good for this week because other people have turned in poems with a negative attitude toward church and church people, and I wanted to say something.

      Delete
    2. Yes I did notice that undercurrent. But you made it in such a pure, un-cliched way. Good jobby! What did your teach say about it after all?

      Delete
    3. Oops, I didn't see until just now that you answered. My teacher is usually happy with most of the technical stuff, but he didn't say anything about whether it stirred the soul or not! :o

      Delete