Thursday, February 7, 2013

Symbol

   Things never end up turning out the way I plan them. I was shooting for a deep poem again, and I ended up with another light, funny, Seuss-y poem. I took a risk this week (writing a poem each week and workshopping really feels like X-Factor live shows) and experimented with the form--big and small font size, broken lines. I was nervous, but my teacher and classmates were all very receptive to the style!


For Goodness' Sake

“Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl
And separately whisk a large hen's egg with oil
Then blend both together, pour in a dish,
And pop in the oven for thirty-five-ish”

I thought “what's the point of a cake that's so easy?”
I whipped up a filling to make it more creamy,
Quadrupled the recipe. Bigger is better!

I poured it in twelve 9-inch pans                  
                                          to
                                                  make
                                                                   layers.
It turned out my oven could hold only half
and that filling brought sweet-kamikaze-toothed gnats,
And while I saran-wrapped the six other pans
And picked out the sugar-crazed-desperate clan
The cakes in the oven got blacker than brown,
The smoke alarm’s ringing still makes my head pound!

The next batch was better except it was flat
Thanks to me closing the doorwaytoofast.
A three-layered cake may sound glorious to you
(I dropped                                                              
            three and six I scraped out with a spoon)
Yes, it was chocolate and six inches deep
But when it had cooled and was ready to eat
I sliced with a knife but a saw would have helped,
it was stale and tasted like sugary felt
I thought “what's the point of a three-layered cake
if it doesn't taste good? For goodness' sake!”


2 comments:

  1. Has anyone commented on "six inches deep" part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but some people said this poem made them hungry! :)

      Delete