Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Sky is Not the Limit...Or Is It?

   Going to class, doing homework (especially writing poetry!!), reading (I finished The Fellowship of the Ring today, for the second time), working out, eye appointments, etc. don't leave large blocks of time to write my stories. Maybe I need to snatch the precious minutes like now to do it. Anyway, for now Wynna and Thibault are on hold in their worlds. In the meantime, let me ask you for advice on character.

   Here is my query: How do you write beyond your ken?

   I want my characters to be wise, hilarious, noble, bold, and varied, but...I'm finding them rather dull, timid, too similar to each other, and too much like me.  I know you can write about situations and things you haven't experienced yourself by drawing on other people's experiences or just having a good imagination (was it Emily Dickinson who never married but wrote great love poems?). But how about the things you can't fake--funniness, wisdom?


Random Fact of the Day: my two favorite quotes from North and South are these...
"I believe I have seen Hell. It is white. Snow white." That line gives me chills!! Especially with the glorious soundtrack in the background.
"Look back at me." That one makes me die. And you will understand why if you watch it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment