Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lemonade & The Lark

   I have a confession to make. In January, (in my post "An Ailing Imagination & Ghost Writing") I set a goal for myself to write 100 pages of the same story by May 2013. Well, I didn't. BUT! On Monday I did finish writing my first draft of the Thibault story, thanks to my class deadline. The three days before our short story was due, I worked furiously on it--I got a total of 11 hours of sleep.
   I turned it in 16 hours late, and it was 28 pages long, but my gracious classmates read it and even seemed to enjoy it. They were duly rewarded by cold lemonade (really good for a summer day like today), cinnamon crumb muffins, coconut macaroons, homemade Scotch tea things, and sweet early cantaloupe.

   I won't be posting the entire story here, but in the next few posts you can expect some juicy morsels like excerpts and maps. Today's treat is the full version of a poem that appears in the story.
Photo: courtesy of Rina


“The Lark”

Tinnin with the flaxen hair
Was called away to war
“The enemy's advancing and
We're running out of men.”

A lark, a lark, a yellow lark
Saw Tinnin's boyish tears
It beat its wings and sang a song
Of courage to his heart

So Tinnin left his lady fair
and fishnets at the door.
His only knife was in his hand—
He faced the lion's den.

A lark, a lark, a singing lark
Assuaged young Tinnin's fears
And though the fighting lasted long
He stayed to play his part


The battle raged, the trumpets blared
The captain was no more
None with heart to take a stand
Among six thousand men

A lark, a lark, a yellow lark
Saw Tinnin's soldiers' tears
It beat its wings and sang a song
Of strength into his heart

Tinnin with the flaxen hair
Eyes flashing like a boar's
Charged across the bloodied land
And rallied all the men

A lark, a lark, a yellow lark
Heard happy, thund'ring cheers
And from the forest sprang the song
Of vict'ry from the lark




Thibault: 28 pages
+ many more that didn't make
it to the rough draft

No comments:

Post a Comment