Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cassandra vs. Mr. Mortmain

     I Capture the Castle starts out with Cassandra sitting in the kitchen sink to write her diary. Toward the end of the book (spoiler alert!) her father, Mr. Mortmain, writes while locked in the Belmotte Tower with nothing else to do.
     I've written in a lot of different locations: at a desk, at the dining table, in my camp chair, in an easy chair, on the floor, on my bed, at the school computer lab, on the sofa, in front of the fireplace.

     When I visited my brother at his university we went to the library a few times so he could job-search online. It wasn't as fun as everything else we did (taco feasts, "24" movie nights, NERF battles), but it was good because I had homework. Even though at home I would've moaned and groaned and trudged through a single paragraph, somehow at the library I got more than two essays written, and without too much agony.
    The difference is that when I'm in a working environment I feel like, "Why not just finish my project right now? I'm stuck here with nothing better to do."
    For fiction writing, too, being trapped in the "tower" is good for me. Although my most creative place is probably my bed, my most productive place is in an office, especially if I'm there for a specific chunk of time. That way my brain can relax and focus on what I'm doing without the "hurry up!" feeling I get everywhere else.

    So, of the two writers in I Capture the Castle, I am more like Mr. Mortmain.

No comments:

Post a Comment