Thursday, July 12, 2012

Love Moves

One of the themes at the church youth conference I went to the first week of July was "Love Moves." Whether in response to poor children in Haiti who need school or New Orleansers whose hurricane-damaged buildings need repair, love doesn't sit still and think, "aww." Love takes action.

Books entertain readers, they transport us to before times, and they give us exciting views into other cultures. But books also inspire people and make differences in the world.

Take Sold, by Patricia McCormick, for example. It's the story of a 13-year old girl named Lakshmi who is sold into prostitution by her stepfather and taken to "Happiness House" in India, far from her home. It's a sad story, especially because it's based on the stories of real girls and women all over the world, but it's also a story of hope and rescue. Click on the news story below to see how Sold made love move in a high school classroom.

Book Inspires Students to Raise Money For Women in India

2 comments:

  1. You clever and glorious lady! I love how you write and think of fresh ways to say what you're saying daily. Can you be my blog teacher?!? My rusty old brain can't be as creative as you. I'm going to read the link now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I didn't think it was that glorious, but thanks! I don't really have a method--I just spend a lot of time on each post. It takes me forever until I'm satisfied that it makes sense and sounds like me, even if it's more descriptive or flowy than my usual speech.
    Rusty old brain? Maybe I need a rusty old brain too if that's where all your glorious paintings come from!

    ReplyDelete