Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cats! A Nod to Wordplay

freedigitalphotos.net

   I've never had a cat before, but I've always liked them and have pet-sat them before. They're cute and fluffy, and they're big enough animals that they can think about more than food (unlike beta fish), but you don't have to give them attention constantly or take them for walks. They're just always around somewhere, padding their way down the hall, springing onto stools and tables, or curled up somewhere. When I spend the night at my friend's house and we finally stop talking and go to sleep, I usually find a furry gray lump called Applesauce on me, which is a good thing about cats in winter. They're foot warmers, too!

   The author I just discovered recently, K. M. Weiland, writes a blog called Wordplay: Helping Writers Become Authors, where she gives people like me tips and tricks of the trade.  According to Ms. Weiland, one of the 10 Essentials for an Inspired Author's Life is...a cat! Of course, at the beginning of the post she said some of the 10 are "more essential than others," but it made me think, "Oh, so that's why I like cats!" It just fits. I can imagine myself sitting in my snug little house someday with scribbled-in notebooks and a coffee on my desk, typing away with a cat in my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment