Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Hiding Place: Book Review

 


Hi! School and work have kept me away...









...but I'm back!!



  I just finished The Hiding Place, and I recommend it to you. This is my second time through, and it's one of the most inspiring books I've ever read. If you cry easily have a box of tissues within reach when you read it! There are some books that people say "I couldn't put it down!"to when I thought, "Hm, how strange. I looked forward to the end of the chapter so I could put it down!" But I really did have a hard time tearing myself away from this book to do homework.

   The Hiding Place is Corrie ten Boom's autobiography. She was a Dutch Christian watchmaker who, with her family, hid and helped Jews during World War II. In order to get them to safety, the ten Booms worked with a secret underground organization. They came up with lots of clever methods to hide their tracks, but no system is perfect, and eventually they were caught. Corrie tells the story of her time in solitary confinement, how her family was separated, and about life with her sister in concentration camps. Through all of those scary experiences Corrie ultimately tells the story of God being the light and the love that shines brighter and reaches deeper than any darkness.

   As for writing style, I love her tone. It's so conversational and honest--her own voice. I felt like I knew her by the end. That's the kind of effortless-sounding narration I want to hear in my own stories.

   What books are your most inspiring?

4 comments:

  1. Indeed, a very inspiring story! I remember writing a book report over it in 8th grade during a Holocaust unit. It is still memorable to me. Have you read Night? Just as haunting and honest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read it since then? It's been a while since I read it the first time--it was like reading a new book!
      I haven't read night--I'm a little scared to. :o

      Delete
  2. Yes! It is a very inspiring and brave story. This book is one of my all-time favorite book, and I couldn't imagine what I would do if I'd be the one faced with the same circumstances. Thank you for sharing your inspiring review of Corrie Ten Boom's book. This book is inspiring and brave at the same time. The site http://booksforevangelism.org cites that "The Hiding
    Place is a book about how faith, compassion and love triumphs in the face of unspeakable evil. This book is recommended for everyone – nonbelievers and believer, specifically for people who have negative perspectives in life and those who are struggling to forgive other people." Heaps of books which can be used as a tool to evangelize to our friends can be found there, maybe you and your readers could check it out. A blessed day
    to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Let! Whenever I read inspiring stories like that I wonder if I would be able to do what they did. I agree with that quote you cited, and that website looks like it has a lot of good books. I'll have to check some of those out.
      And now you've reminded me that it might be time to reread this again!
      --Erika

      Delete