Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Will My Side Character Usurp the 'Throne'?

   Rainy days are perfect for reading, but sunny, cool days are perfect for writing. Today was one of those rare days. Out of the whole year, three-fourths of the time it's too hot, one-fourth of the time it's too cold, and then you have a handful of days like today where there's a breeze blowing, and in the shade it's deliciously close to cold,  but the little bits of sun that peek through the leaves are warm enough that it's not uncomfortable. Even better is the fact that there aren't many mosquitos or gnats around. On top of that, class was canceled! Yaay!

Click here to listen to a cool day.
   I decided to bite the bullet and start writing. I'm using the idea from http://wordplay-kmweiland.blogspot.com about summing up a character in two words. Those two words are the foundation of who the character is, and you can add on and develop and change and branch out all you want from there. In the two pages that I've tried it so far, it's working. :)

   Me and my camp chair followed the shade across the deck as I wrote my story, but a few minutes ago the sun finally cornered me, so I came inside to take a break and write this. While I was writing, I noticed something interesting. I set out to tell the story of my main character, but it was my side character who actually came to life. I think it's because he's not main--I wasn't so worried about messing up. I just let him talk and do whatever he wanted.  Looks like he's about to usurp the 'main character throne,' which...that would actually be okay. I just hope that now that I know why he's comes to life, I won't get worried again and turn him into a stiff board!

3 comments:

  1. How amazing we both wrote about the rare fine weather and took the same kind of photo, but this proves how rare fine days are in OK.

    ReplyDelete