Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bits and Pieces

   When I think of being read to, I think of little kids and elderly people. But it's actually fun for all ages. My little brother is reading me The Hobbit now (which I mostly forgot what happened), and it's fun! If someone else reads to you, you can do a lot of things at once. First, you're reading a book. Second, you're reading it together, so it's a sort of group activity. Third, your hands are free, so you can do push-ups or alter a shirt or just lay there and rest.

   I suddenly got very tired of writing "The Umbrella," for a few reasons. Helen is starting to annoy me, things are getting too calm, and...I don't know. My writing style is starting to get boring. O.o So I took a break and wrote a poem. I wrote it specifically to be set to music and worked harder on rhythm and sound than on deep metaphors and ingenious rhymes. I haven't had it critiqued or anything, so here it is in it's raw form.



Goodbye, blue, blue sky
So dry, without a cloud in sight
Goodbye, sitting
Out on the front porch licking blue popsicles
Goodbye, time
To buy or lose or waste on sleep

It’s been a long, long season
Scorching sun every day--I thought it’d never end
Now I’m feeling down cause I’m moving on, yeah, that’s the reason

Goodbye, summer
With your late, late nights and later mornings
Goodbye, floating
On the river, in the rain, and getting burnt
Goodbye, reading
For hours on end in perfect silence

It’s been a long, long season
Scorching sun every day--I thought it’d never end
Now I’m feeling down cause I’m leaving you behind, yeah, that’s the reason

Goodbye, long summer



   Btw, I love feedback. I always have. My favorite part of middle and high school English was reading teachers' comments on my work. So what do you think? What topics are you most interested in? Do you agree or disagree with my reflections? Also, I'd be happy to read your writing, if you want to share it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being an A+ student and showing us teachers that there are students who care and who GET that writing and reading = catharsis. I wish I could still comment on your PERFECT papers! ;) On a side note, I read a book at the beginning of this year called _The Umbrella_. Of course, no relation to yours, but you should check it out. Though I am not a creative writer, I do maintain a blog-like journal, so go to my profile to subscribe. I used to write poems and I miss those days of creativity... I guess those were also the days of my childhood innocence and who ever knows where and when those days go. Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mrs. Searcy! I am subscribed to your blog :) I have fun reading your reflections on mommyhood and seeing cute pictures of you and your family. If you ever get a spare moment, you should do some creative writing again. Maybe you could write some poems for Blake. I'll have to read The Umbrella--who is it by?

      Delete