Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Learning

   I'm back! I feel like I haven't posted in forever, but it's only been 6 days. This week the only writing I've done besides copying lecture notes into my notebook was to scribble down a poem. I didn't feel very motivated to squeeze writing into my busy days since I don't have a story I'm dying to work on. But today is my mostly free day, so maybe I'll finally get something done. But first I have to tell you a story.

   This past week someone new started at work. We were asking each other questions, like "where are you from" and "how are classes going."
   Then he asked, "Have you been to a party?"
    I said I wasn't the party type of girl.
   "Have you been to the club?"
    I said nope. He seemed pretty surprised then, and next he asked, "So, what do you do when you're not at school or work??"
    I said, "Well, I want to become a writer, so I write for fun."
   He said, "Really? Me too."
   At first I thought he was being totally sarcastic but later he brought it up again. "I like to write," he said.
   "Really?" I said, wondering if it was true.
   "Yeah, one time my English teacher put the word 'journey' on the board, and he told us to write a, not a story, but like a paper about what 'journey' means to us. I turned it in, and he told me it was one of the best ones." He also said that at the beginning of school he used to write really long stories.
  It was my turn to be surprised. So it was true!

  I keep on learning how much more there is to people than you first think. That's what makes them interesting, I guess, and maybe that's what can make my characters more real and round.

No comments:

Post a Comment